by Aaron Galvan |
Many look forward to this time of year as a time to enjoy their favorite thrillers and horror movies. You may want to watch a scary movie but feel like there are too many to choose from. Hopefully this list can help you decide. I’ve done some research and even asked a couple of students what scary movies they think are the scariest. Here is the top ten list for scary movies, on a scale from “not scary” to “don’t watch alone.”
10. IT (2017). At number ten is the remake to an old classic. The IT movie follows a group of kids, from the town of Derry, who are terrorized by IT, mostly appearing in the form of Pennywise the Clown who feeds on kids and their fears. “IT” may not be the scariest movie on our list, but it is pretty terrifying. I mean, who isn’t afraid of clowns?!
9. The Exorcist. This movie is about a little girl who begins to act strangely after speaking with her imaginary friend. The mother of the little girl becomes worried and hires the help of two priests to hopefully save the little girl. One word for this movie: CREEPY.
8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Now we can step aside from the demonic side of scary and step into the more down-to-earth side of scary. Five teens seek help from a farm family after a hitchhiker commits suicide in their vehicle. The teens soon realize they are being hunted by a madman known as Leatherface.
7. The Conjuring. Now this film is based on a true story. Paranormal investigators are called to help a family haunted by a demon. The investigators soon find themselves in the scariest case of their lives.
6. The Ring. The film follows a young journalist as she investigates the death of four teens, who all died after watching a disturbing video. After watching the same video she has limited time to solve the mystery.
5. Friday the 13th. This is a popular horror movie, to say the least. Friday the 13th is about a normal summer at Camp Crystal Lake. Things are fine until everyone at camp begins getting picked off one by one by a hidden killer. Camp will never be the same again.
4. The Shining. This movie is known as “A masterpiece of modern horror.” The Shining is about Jack Torrance and his family staying at a haunted hotel. Jack soon becomes insane and presents a danger to his family.
3. Jaws. Now Jaws may not be scary to everyone, but it is an all time favorite that had to be on the list. Jaws is about a massive shark that enjoys eating people. A sheriff, marine biologist, and a professional shark hunter team up to kill Jaws once and for all.
2. Nightmare on Elm Street. A group of teenagers are terrorized by Freddy Krueger – a deformed man with a killing plan. He inhabits the dreams of the teenagers and affects the dreamer in the real world. This one never ceases to scare young and old alike.
1. Casper The Friendly Ghost. Now this one is for all you junior high kids (or junior high kids-at-heart) who want a little excitement, but nothing too scary. This movie is about a dad and daughter moving into an old house that is haunted by four ghosts, one such ghost is Casper. This is definitely a movie you don’t want to watch alone.